Wednesday, August 27, 2008

Another fine mesh

Greetings from my laboratory. My house has become a hotbed of microwave radiation. I now have my old, reliable D-Link router/switch/access point, two Meraki mesh routers (one "mini" and one "outdoor"), and two Open-mesh routers working in and around my very small house. There are also a Linksys WRT54GS and a $40 OpenWRT box (purchased from the internet) kicking around here, as well. Oh, and just to be complete, I got myself a FON router and directional antenna, because it seemed like a handy thing and was very inexpensive.

While the popcorn is not quite popping itself, there is a lot or RF in the air here. Technically, all the Meraki, open-mesh, and FON boxes are roughly the same, running slightly different software. And, based on some informal testing, they all seem to work pretty well. There are some interesting differences: the FON box has two ethernet ports (which may make it impossible to turn it into an open-mesh box should that be my eventual goal). The Meraki mini is identical to the open-mesh routers, but the Meraki outdoor has a more powerful transceiver (200 mW instead of the 60 mW in the "minis").

Results to come...

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave a comment; let me know what you think!